Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:08:24 -0500

    That might be difficult to do and also might have some other problems.
    The State of hidden items his HIDDEN, not SET, even when the State
    would be SET when shown.

That is true.  We could perhaps change that.

I suggest a different solution: don't allow hiding a setting that is
in state "SET".

Or, if we decide that hiding such a setting is useful,
we could query for confirmation before hiding such a setting.

    Operate on everything in this buffer except groups,
    HIDDEN items or items CHANGED outside Customize:

Some sort of change there might be good, but that is too long.
Maybe this:

    Operate on all settings in this buffer that aren't marked HIDDEN.

We need not mention the ROGUE case here, because that's a different
kind of issue: the operation _tries_ to operate on that setting, but
it can't do so because the setting is not suitable to operate on.