Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.texi?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:39:44 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Richard, Hi, Emacs!

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>    In the Emacs manual, the <backspace> key (the one that deletes backwards)
>    seems sometimes to be called @key{BS}, and at other times @key{BACKSPACE}
>    or @key{DEL}.

>Those are not synonymous.  The chapter on Killing explains the difference.

For the third time of asking, would somebody (Richard?) please state
definitively what the canonical names, to be used in files.texi, are for
the "backspace" key (typically the large rectangular key above CR that
deletes a single character backwards) and the "delete" key (typically the
bottom leftmost key of a block of 6 keys directly to the right of CR,
that deletes a single character forwards).

I think the canonical names for these keys are, respectively, @key{DEL}
and @key{DELETE} (with exactly that capitalization), but I'm not sure.

I want to amend the CC Mode manual to use the standard names for these
two keys.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)