Re: Q on read-file-name and completion-ignored-extensions

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Q on read-file-name and completion-ignored-extensions
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:47:16 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   That seems to corroborate my feeling that either there is a bug (on Windows)
   or the doc string for `completion-ignored-extensions' is incorrect.

What about the alternative docstring in the patch below?  That one
should describe the actual behavior or there _is_ a bug (on Windows).
I can install if desired.

To explain what _should_ happen and _does_ happen on GNU/Linux: I have
four files starting with cin: cinv.tex, cinv.tex~, cinv.aux and cinv.dvi.
All but one end in a string in completion-ignored-extensions.  If I do
`C-x C-f cin TAB', it completes to cinv.tex, ignoring the three other
ones.  But if I do `C-x C-f cin ?', I get a list of all four.  This
feature is meant to allow you to complete to what you _probably_ want
with less typing.  It is _not_ meant to prevent you from visiting
files that end in one of these suffixes.

===File ~/dired.c-diff======================================
*** dired.c     01 Oct 2005 08:42:10 -0500      1.119
--- dired.c     19 Jan 2006 18:37:07 -0600
***************
*** 1036,1046 ****
  #endif /* VMS */

    DEFVAR_LISP ("completion-ignored-extensions",
&Vcompletion_ignored_extensions,
!              doc: /* *Completion ignores filenames ending in any string in
this list.
! Directories are ignored if they match any string in this list which
! ends in a slash.
! This variable does not affect lists of possible completions,
! but does affect the commands that actually do completions.  */);
    Vcompletion_ignored_extensions = Qnil;
  }

--- 1036,1046 ----
  #endif /* VMS */

    DEFVAR_LISP ("completion-ignored-extensions",
&Vcompletion_ignored_extensions,
!              doc: /* Completion ignores file names ending in any string in
this list.
! It does not ignore them if all possible completions end in one of
! these strings or when displaying a list of completions.
! It ignores directory names if they match any string in this list which
! ends in a slash.  */);