Re: Error with -O3 but not -O2: "Wrong type argument: listp".

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Error with -O3 but not -O2: "Wrong type argument: listp".
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:46:14 -0500

    I've re-done the builds at -O2 with -O3 optimizations specified
    individually.  Build fails with "-g -O2 -finline-functions" but
    succeeds with the other -O3 optimizations.

This might be a help, but I think there is no avoiding the need to
localize the actual error.  I presume you'll find it occurred in a
function which another function was inlined into.

At that point, careful study of the assembler code of that function
against the source of it and the other functions it calls could be
enough to find the bug.  And maybe the GCC maintainers will do that.

    I did try using gdb to locate the source of the segmentation fault
    but gdb was complaining about threads:

        (gdb) run --batch --load loadup bootstrap
        Starting program: /fac/drk/localpri/build/emacs/src/temacs --batch
--load loadup bootstrap
        [New Thread -1208084800 (LWP 14053)]
        Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 14053: generic error
        (gdb) quit

Please ask bug-gdb for help on this, and cc me.
GDB should not be doing this when used on Emacs.