Re: "Misunderstanding of the lambda calculus"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "Misunderstanding of the lambda calculus"
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:40:15 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> David, "archaic" _is_ a smear term in this context.
>
> Proper smear terms would be "obsolescent", "obsolete", "retarded".

Language is about communication.  I think to anyone reasonably fluent in
english, it's pretty clear that "archaic" was used quite deliberately in
this case to mean "it sux0rz!1!" while avoiding explicitly
confrontational language.  Since it handily achieved the goal, of
communicating contempt, it's hard to argue that it wasn't a "proper"
smear term...

-miles
--
"Suppose He doesn't give a shit?  Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a shit?"  [George Carlin]