Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:18:33 +0200

>>> Is it possible to bind C-mouse-1 or S-mouse-1 to some other command
>>> (not the command bound to mouse-1)?  Is it possible to bind mouse-2 or
>>> mouse-3?
>
> Is it already possible or not?  Anyone?

(info "(elisp)Tool Bar") describes how to add modifiers to the fake
function keys in the tool bar, but really the following sample code
has no effect:

  (define-key tool-bar-map [S-help] 'info)

>> A good thing for mouse-3 to do on the tool bar icon is to display a popup
>> menu with more related actions, e.g. display a whole Customization submenu
>> on the Customization icon, all 6 printing-related items from the File
>> menu on the Printer icon, all 9 Search submenu items on the Search icon,
>> etc.
>
> I'm not a usability expert, but I think tool bar icon commands should
> not popup menus (as the Emacs help icon does: duplicating the Help
> menu item).

I think only mouse-1 should not popup menus, but in many modern
applications mouse-3 is a standard way to show a popup menu
with a complete list of items related to the main item invoked
via mouse-1.

> The different commands I have in mind for Gnus are variations of the
> Reply command (e.g. with or without citing the text) or
> gnus-summary-sort-by-whatever and the reverse sort.

Good idea.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/