Re: faq.texi

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:58:56 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> The consistency I meant is for C-y and M-y to have the same non-isearch
> meaning in isearch mode: for C-y to yank last killed text into the search
> string, and for M-y to yank earlier kills into the search string.

Yeah; I know it's a contentious issue, but it seems to me like
ultimately the best solution would be to bite the bullet and change the
default binding of C-y (and M-y) in isearch to better match what people
expect (and add some other bi nding for the "grab rest of line").  The
traditional isearch bindings have been a consistent point of confusion
as long as I can remember (not just among newbies either).

I say this because I think the isearch meanings of C-y (etc), while
certainly not obscure, are in general less used than other bindings, and
more problematic in their current form, so it's thinkable to change them.

-miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson