Re: faq.texi

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:17:33 -0500

    Either way we should find a replacement keybinding for isearch-yank-line,
    and this is not easy.

Is it really useful?  C-w in a search is definitely useful, but I have
never seen a use for C-y.  In general, a whole line of text is more
than one needs to search for.

    One way to reduce the isearch controversy is to pick up only one key and
    to use it as a prefix key for all isearch commands.

That is an interesting idea.  I think that putting ALL of the special
search characters into a prefix would be going too far; C-w needs
to be typed repeatedly, for instance.  However, there may be several
that could usefully be put into a prefix character.

    `M-s C-y' - isearch-yank-kill
    `M-s C-e' - isearch-yank-line
    `M-s C-f' - isearch-yank-char
    `M-s M-f' - isearch-yank-word
    `M-s M-f M-f M-f ...' - yank successive words

That is an interesting idea too.  I somewhat worry about the
idea of repetition after M-s, since that makes it like a mode.
(I think we have overused that approach in recent years.)
But the rest seems worth considering.

However, I think we should consider it after the release.