Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:38:08 +0200

On 2006-02-20 08:21, Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> wrote:
> Often, the only way I can get Emacs to build is to
>
>        $ cd /usr/local/src/emacs-cvs
>
>        # Delete everything except the top-level CVS directory
>        $ find . -! -name CVS -mindepth 1 -maxdeptn 1 | xargs rm -rf
>
>        $ cvs up
>
>        $ ./configure && make bootstrap
>
> I might be going overboard, but I needed to do this at least once, and
> I'm superstitious enough that I keep doing it whenever Emacs acts
> funny.

I, on the other hand, keep a local subversion branch with the Emacs
sources unchanged, in file:///svnroot/emacs/branches/gnu/.  Any changes
*I* make are made to file:///svnroot/emacs/trunk/, so when I need a
clean copy of the source tree, I just remove the checkout of /trunk and
check it out again.

No serious build problems so far :)

How do the people who work with the repository keep up to date their
sources?  Is there a way to actually _mirror_ the CVS changes, like
CVSup or similar?

- Giorgos