Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:31:29 +0200

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> But, unify-8859-on-encoding-mode should be on by default (at
> >> least with CVS HEAD emacs).
> >>
> >> Paul, do you turn it off intentionally?  Can you reproduce
> >> this problem by starting your emacs with "-Q"?
>
> > Uh, indeed.  I think I turned it off because of poor support of
> > Cyrillic characters by the fonts...  If I start it with `-Q',
> > the numero sign is automatically encodable in UTF-8 as it
> > should be, but the Cyrillic characters appear as boxes which is
> > of course even worse for me.
>
> unify-8859-on-encoding-mode is not relevant how to read (or
> decode) Cyrillic characters encoded in UTF-8, nor how to
> display Cyrillic characters decoded into
> mule-unicode-0100-24ff charset.
>
> Do you really mean that you solved the display problem by
> turning it off?

No, there is a misundestanding.  I meant `unify-8859-on-decoding'.
In general, Emacs shows most basic characters OK with unify-on-encoding
turned on and unify-on-decoding off, it's not like I need fancy
characters regularly.  However, Pango sure does a nicer job and I hope
your changes doing similar things get merged into the Emacs trunk.  That
is, if another stable version is ever released.

> Please try to select "fontset->standard" by shift-mouse1.
> It makes "fixed" the default family, thus has the higher
> possibility of selecting an iso10646-1 font that support
> Cyrillic.

This doesn't seem to have any effect.  The screen flickers but displays
exactly the same fonts, no matter what I choose in the menus.  Probably
because I have customized faces, not sure.

Paul