Re: address@hidden: PC-do-completion with directories adding stars.]

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: address@hidden: PC-do-completion with directories adding stars.]
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:09:44 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   > If now you do `M-x partial-completion-mode' and repeat the experiment,
   > you get:

   > read-file-name-internal: Opening directory: no such file or directory,
   > /home/teirllm/a*/b*/

   When I try it, I don't get that.  Instead I just see "[Ambiguous dir name]"
   appended to the minibuffer for 2 seconds.

Then you must have a subdirectory of ~/ starting with `a'.  If I
create a directory, say ~/amelia, I also get the [Ambiguous dir name].
(If partial completion mode is enabled.)  But if you have no
subdirectory of ~/ starting with `a', you get the *'s.

   Also I don't originally get:

   > minibuffer-complete: Opening directory: no such file or directory,
   > /home/teirllm/a/b/

   but only

   > Opening directory: no such file or directory, /home/teirllm/a/b/

I killed and yanked the message from *Messages*, which adds the
"minibuffer-complete: "

Sincerely,

Luc.