Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:14:19 -0500

    Q1: Curiously, with my cursor now at the end of the minibuffer line,
        Emacs did not respond to C-x o or mouse (I wanted to select the
        contents of the *Local Variables* buffer for submission in this
        email). Is this intentional?

Of course.  When emacs is reading a single character of input,
it does not respond to editing commands.

        yet C-h N addition hints that safe-local-variable-values
        should be updated with my change (somewhere?):

The code seems to set safe-local-variable-values, then update .emacs
to bring back the same value in future sessions.  So if the value of
safe-local-variable-values does not change, that is anomalous.

        If I kill the ~/.mailrc buffer and revisit it, I get prompted
        with the same *Local Variables* buffer scenario as the
        first time.

Well, that shows ! failed to do its job.  Can you debug it?