Re: MH-E manual update

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: MH-E manual update
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:08:12 -0600 (CST)

Bill Wohler wrote:

   In (texinfo) code:

         Thus, you should use address@hidden' for an expression in a program,
for the
       name of a variable or function used in a program, or for a keyword in a
       programming language.

   If we are in agreement, this paragraph should be amended to say "for the
   name *or value* of a variable or function" since it would be
   inconsistent and complicate usage to use @code for string values and
   @samp for other values.

It already says: "you should use address@hidden' for an expression in a
program".
Strings in a program are expressions, be it constant ones.  One writes:
"The standard value of this variable is @code{nil}", not @samp{nil}.

   ...with three exceptions in strings.texi and text.texi. A quick grep in
   the Elisp manual didn't reveal any @samp{.*} (without quotes) that
   looked like they might be a variable's value.

I changed those three to use @code, since they were inconsistent with
the vast majority of similar cases.

   If we are in agreement, can someone who has the Texinfo manual checked
   out make the clarification in the @code section?

Karl Berry maintains that manual, but I am not immediately sure that a
change is called for, for the reasons explained above.

Sincerely,

Luc.