Re: Feature request: multibyte user-full-name

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Feature request: multibyte user-full-name
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:46:15 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

I think it's pretty likely that people who start *now* to added non-ASCII
chars in Gecos fields do it with utf-8.  As for those who've been doing it
for a while already with something else than utf-8: well, Emacs-21 read that
as unibyte and it was good enough that (almost) nobody complained, so
why change?

I've had non-ASCII (ISO-8859-1 actually) characters in my gecos field for at least 10 years, but then again, I'm used to programs not working with anything but ASCII, so I haven't complained :-)

        Jan D.