Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:59:41 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > How about having some indication (somewhere) of the
>     > minibuffer-recursion depth?
>     I think it is good idea.
>     > Perhaps use {...} in the mode line for this (like [...])? (Both
>     > recursions are possible at the same time, though that is not common.)
>     How do you think put [] on the prompt in minibuffer like:
>     [M-x]
>     [[M-x]]
>     [[[Find file: ]]] ~/
> We can discuss the design after the release, if people think the idea is
> useful.
> However, personally I would prefer not to burden the prompt (which can
> already be quite complex) and instead put the indicator in the mode line
> somehow.

The minibuffer does not have a mode line.  And if we want to avoid
confusion, putting the indicator somewhere far away from the
minibuffer would not help.  I think the minibuffer prompt a better
place.  And using the same "recursive" indicator as recursive edits do
in the mode line is sensible as well in my book.