Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:44:38 +0100

On Sat, Mar 18 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
[...]
>> (defun message-send-mail-function ()
>>   "Return suitable value for the variable `message-send-mail-function'."
>>   (cond ((and sendmail-program
>>            (executable-find sendmail-program))
>>       'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
>>      ((and (locate-library "smtpmail")
>>            (require 'smtpmail)
>>            smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
>>       'message-smtpmail-send-it)
>>      ((locate-library "mailclient")
>>       'message-send-mail-with-mailclient)
>>      (t
>>       (lambda ()
>>         (error "Don't know how to send mail.  Please customize
>> `message-send-mail-function'.")))))
>
> This is good, but I think using smtpmail by default is not the best
> idea: it requires manual setup (at the very least, the SMTP server
> address).

Yes, therefore my suggestion checks if `smtpmail-default-smtp-server'
is non-nil.  But maybe this is not sufficient or we should better
check `smtpmail-smtp-server'.  Simon?

> So I think mailclient should be used in preference to smtpmail.

If the user (or site admin) has configured
`smtpmail-[default-]smtp-server' (or $SMTPSERVER) I think we can
assume that it works.  Else the user can customize the variable
`message-send-mail-function'.

I'd like to add `mailclient.el' to Gnus' contrib directory so that
Emacs 21 (or XEmacs) users can also use it.  David, WDYT?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)