Re: address@hidden: HP-UX: link error]

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: address@hidden: HP-UX: link error]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:19:38 -0600

On Mar 20, 2006, at 09:05, Richard Stallman wrote:
on HP-UX I got this error (latest CVS version of emacs).

<long gcc line to link emacs...>
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Duplicate symbol "append_glyph" in files xdisp.o and term.o

I think I see the cause of this.  There is a static function called
append_glyph defined in xdisp.o.  Apparently that version of GCC
compiles it in a way that isn't static, effectively producing
two global definitions of append_glyph.

src/m/hpux.h has "#define static", and I think all the version- specific headers inherit it from there; perhaps that's the cause... the comment indicates that everything "static" goes into initialized data (which may be just the native compiler, or gcc too, I don't know), and emacs doesn't like that, so it's worked around.