Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:54:54 +0100

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Oops.  ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote (in Japanese) in
>>>
>>> http://lists.debian.or.jp/debian-devel/200502/msg00007.html
>>>
>>> that Emacs 21 doesn't support the communication passing the UNIX
>>> domain socket.  If we need to use it at all costs, we will have
>>> to use an external program which communicates with the agent
>>> process by way of the socket.
>>
>> I think it is too complicated.  It is simpler to remove the function.
>> Sascha, what do you think?  People who enable pgg-gpg-use-agent
>> manually might be expected to make sure the agent really is running.
>
> I would like to see pgg do the right think when ever it can -- could
> we keep it for emacs 22 and just not use it if its not available?
>
> How about testing for the emacs version, or availability of
> make-network-process?
>
> I'll purpose a more compatible patch later -- but I don't have the
> time right now, sorry.

Given that this function probably won't be used at all if Daiki's idea
is implemented, I think we should remove the function for now.
Daiki's approach (if I understand it correctly) of not second-guessing
what parameters gpg will need is more reliable than this approach,
even if this approach would work fine on all emacsen.