Re: force auto compile .el files

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: force auto compile .el files
Date: 25 Mar 2006 20:23:33 -0500

Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden> writes:

> Probably some users (me, for instance) will like the possibility to
> have .elc files always updated without recompile them manually.

recompile on load becomes difficult when there are dependencies outside
the file (when it is not purely standalone), since there are many tricky
cases to consider when recursing.  to see what i mean, try (w/ your
patched emacs) munging some autoloaded gnus/*.el files while using gnus.
bonus points for surviving nontrivial changes to emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el.

instead, you can move the compile to `write-contents-hooks' or similar.
this can be arranged to be done automatically, as well.  it might even
already be a feature (if not in emacs proper, try emacswiki)...

thi