Re: locate-with-filter

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:34:50 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   You would have to change the bindings in the button's (text-property)
   keymap if you want different commands to operate on the button.

The user would have to change button-map, but then he would have
changed the bindings for _all_ buttons of _any_ kind, which might not
be what the user wants.  In addition, he would _also_ have to rebind
help-follow.  So this seems hopeless.

   So there are two approaches:

   1. Say that users who want to change the behavior of the buttons should
      change the keymap that they use.

   2. Install your change in help-follow, and then we can get rid of the
      buttons' text property keymap.

The first possibility is very unattractive for the reasons explained above.

Getting rid of the button's keymap means reimplementing help-mode
without using buttons, quite a bit of work for little or no gain.  If
we install my three patches, there is no need to get rid of the
button's RET binding.  Quite to the contrary, it allows to safely hard
code RET in the introductory text, which is what we should be doing
anyway.  The help-echo text hardcodes it too.  So if RET would not
follow buttons any more, the help-echo would be deceiving.

An alternative to my third patch would be to simply delete help-follow
and help-follow-mouse entirely.

Sincerely,

Luc.