Re: Icon update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:22:47 -0800

Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill Wohler wrote:
>
> >Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:

> >>Can you link to them?
> >>

> >I'm not sure I know what you mean by that.
> >

> I meant give an URL where these icons can be seen.

file:/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/stock :-(

I recently asked this very same question on the GNOME usability list:

Rodney Dawes <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 08:46 -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
> > Also, there are a dazzling number of icon and desktop themes on the
> > GNOME site, but none are branded "Default" so I could check for
> > myself. What is the URL to the current default set of icons?
>
> And, as Calum stated, gnome-icon-theme is in GNOME CVS, and not
> available as a simple tarball theme download on a theme site.

> >Hmmm, you're right. I see two approaches.
> >
> >1. Devise a scheme that provides the following icon priorities:
> >
> >a. Personal icons
> >b. Theme icons
> >c. Emacs built-in icons
> >
> >2. Use the theme as I had proposed. The user personalizes the icon not
> >   by adding their icons to image-load-path, but rather by adding their
> >   icons to the GNOME theme. We document this.
> >
> >I suspect that the latter is more germane to a GNOME user.
>
> Yes.  But it would mean having different strategies fro GTK Emacs and
> Emacs compiled without GTK.  Maybe that isn't such a big deal.  I
> suspect users of GTK Emacs would want it to change as the theme
> changes.  If we can agree on Gnome icons, I'm all for it, we can
> always fall back to builtin icons if those aren't available.

Falling back to those icons will also be the thing to do in non-GTK
situations too, so we should be OK. Right?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD