Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:14:33 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
Are you saying you'd want to toolbars to support mouse-1 and drag-mouse-1 (as well as the same events for other mouse buttons), but *not* down-mouse-1?

I don't think I said anything about drag-mouse-1 on toolbars.  Now
that you raise the question, I don't see how drag events can make
sense on a tool bar icon.  You can't move these icons.

And you are against doing the little amount of work to provide the hooks that would allow such functionality to get added? Why? You must have some reason you don't want this to ever get implemented. Here's a few I can think of, along with my rebuttals:

It'd take too much time and be too complicated to implement.
  (I disagree; this should be no more than one day's worth of work.)

It'd be difficult to integrate into the existing framework.
(I disagree; you'd just have to make the old tool-bar names be aliases for pressing keys *also* be prefix keys in specific functions; especially read-key-sequence.)

I don't like it; it's not a proven UI style.
(I disagree; many widely used apps do exactly what I have described. Both Firefox and OpenOffice do. It is a good design from a UI design standpoint because it allows direct manipulation of the toolbar.)

We're trying to get to a release of Emacs 22.
  (Then implement it in Emacs 23.)

  -- MJF