Re: emacs-Xtra

From: Nic
Subject: Re: emacs-Xtra
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:10:16 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  >     2) All the programming/development topics are moved to a separate
> manual
>  >        (Emacs IDE?) and only the obscure stuff is left in emacs-Xtra.
>  >
>  > If this means splitting the Emacs Manual into two manuals, both of which
>  > we would print, maybe that is a good idea--but how would we split it?
>
> In such a way that that fairly self contained topics like VC stay together.
> You declined to say how much smaller the Emacs Manual needs to be, but I would
> keep as much in it as possible.
>
> Without this information, I would guess that the Avanced Features section
> could
> be Volume Two and everything before, and everything after (Recovery from
> Problems), could be Volume One.
>
>  > (Version control is not used solely for editing programs, so including
>  > VC in a manual for "editing programs with Emacs" would not be right.)
>
> Emacs User Manaual Vol 1: Basics
> Emacs User Manaual Vol 2: Advanced Features

How about just publishing an extra manual with the information in it
needed for programmers?

I'm sure we could find a whole lot more to put in that - and maybe
trim down the Emacs manual.

So: there would be duplication (vc information in both) but one would
be able to control that with texinfo builds.

Nic Ferrier