Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:51:38 -0400

On 12 Apr 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> Karl> Perl-mode mis-indents this:
>
>> All the cool-cats I know have completely abandoned perl-mode
>> for cperl-mode long ago.   Is there any way we can just make
>> that the default instead?
>
> The reason why cperl-mode wasn't made the default when it got
> integrated (AFAIK) was that it had several misbehaviors w.r.t
> conventions and that the original author wasn't interested in fixing
> them and nobody else volunteered.
>
> By now, perl-mode has caught up with some of cperl-mode's features
> and has even added some of its own, while perl-mode's odd aspects
> haven't really ben addressed (tho, at least, you can now use both
> perl-mode and cperl-mode in the same Emacs, without one stepping on
> the other's toes).

I have to say, I don't know any Perl programmers that use perl-mode.
This is not to say perl-mode is not good, just that cperl-mode by now
is very popular.

Can we put together a list of features for perl-mode vs. cperl-mode?
It will let users decide better, and it will tell us whether one or
the other needs to catch up.

Ted