Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:14:46 -0400

>> So what you suggest is that the current grep-tree should replace
>> grep-find/find-grep as the default interface, and the current
>> grep-find functionality should be selected if a prefix arg is
>> specified.

> This is somewhat radical and might surprise people.

Surprise is not bad.  Confusing the user would be bad and making her do
something she didn't intend to do would be even worse, but I don't think
either of them applies here: the prompt should be sufficiently different
that she should immediately realize what's going on.

I think that what Kim suggests (rename grep-find to grep-find-command,
grep-tree to grep-find-template, and introduce a new grep-find which calls
either of the two depending on nilness of current-arg-prefix) is the way
to go.  Much better than introducing a complex configuration and prefix-arg
protocol to choose what to do when.

        Stefan