Re: emacs doc changes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacs doc changes
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:15:44 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 19 Apr 2006, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason not to use unified diffs ("diff -u") when
>> available?  Of course, not all diff programs can provide them, but
>> GNU diff does, and patch understands them just as well, and I find
>> it quite more human-readable (if I consider myself representative
>> for a human, that is).
>
> RMS has asked me for context diffs before, so I'm guessing unified
> patches are less useful to Emacs maintainers...

I am not sure about that: maybe it is just because not all diff
programs can deliver unified.  That's why I was asking Eli.

> I can provide -u as well, since I would just do "cvs diff -u"
> instead of "cvs diff -c".

Well, context diffs certainly are fine enough for use with "patch", so
there is little reason to post another batch because of that.  I was
more asking about a general policy.

I have actually customized `diff-switches' to "-u" myself, and it
would be interesting to hear whether that could cause trouble in any
way when cooperating with other people.