Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:58:34 -0400

    The old grep-find interface is "a hack" (a  way to
    start a compile-like command which runs find | grep.

But it is quite like M-x grep, and that makes for consistency.  I
think that nearly everyone who uses grep-find will have used M-x grep
first, and will therefore find grep-find quite natural.

It could be the case that we could make both grep and grep-find easier
for beginners to use, in a consistent way.  But let's wait till after
the release for that change.

For now, I would suggest we consider making the new feature grep-tree
more convenient in a way that isn't incompatible for old features
such as grep-find.