Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:56:30 +0200

On 4/28/06, Stuart D. Herring <address@hidden> wrote:

without file locking because I wasn't sure how to mix that
with `load' competently.  (I suspect this matters little since Emacs
sessions are quite unlikely to be actually _accessing_ the desktop file at
the same time.)

I agree. The probability of two or more Emacs sessions starting or
non-catastrophically ending at the very same moment seems remote.

But I encourage
people (in particular Juanma, who raised the issue) to try it and let me
know if it's any good; if the testing and the papers go okay, it'll just
need a ChangeLog entry to be good.

Thanks a lot. I like the functionality, but it still has some rough
spots, at least for daily use.

- Emacs process the desktop file, loading buffers and all, and only
then asks about it being in use. Can this be changed so the question
is asked at the beginning? (I imagine this could be difficult because
of the way the desktop file is loaded.)

 - If you decide *not* to load the desktop file in use, on exit
you're still asked about saving a new desktop file; at least, for
certain values of `desktop-save'. My main use case is that I'm
starting a fresh Emacs by accident (I have Emacs on another virtual
desktop, or just too many open apps), and I'm going to do C-x C-c
immediately, so it's a bit cumbersome to "M-x set-variable
desktop-save nil RET". Perhaps a  desktop-not-loaded-hook could be
useful there.

 - Not a problem with your implementation, but on Windows, using
gnuserv/gnuclient, the second Emacs instance shows a message "Server
subprocess exited" (because it wasn't able to run gnuserv a second
time) which hides the desktop question...

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u