Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:47:55 +0900

> Maybe that was the wrong question. Tramp will be known better when it
> is shipped with Emacs 22. So you should ask around who's using
> ange-ftp, _this_ are potential Tramp users.

In my experience tramp is _much_ slower than even ange-ftp (in all ways,
but especially establishing connections).  I think this severely limits
its utility for general use, and potential audience.

Because of this I think the hostname (etc) completion are something that
probably don't really matter very much to most users (and I suppose may
even confuse those not expecting them -- I don't known the full list of
syntaxes which trigger them), and thus that it would be fine to enable
them only if tramp has been loaded (or enabled or whatever).

Would you like fries with that?