Re: memory leak

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: memory leak
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:15:37 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   When he wrote

           ... after you completely quit using Emacs, the memory consumed by
           the Emacs process can easily grow by more than 35 percent, or 8M
           or more,

   I think he really meant "when you stop typing and leave Emacs
   completely idle".

Yes, that is what I meant.  When Emacs becomes idle and stays idle,
jit-lock and stealth fontification kick in.  If you have a lot of
large buffers that require a lot of fontification, this mimics a
memory leak, as well as rogue CPU usage.  But both CPU usage and
memory increase eventually stop.  However, due to the way jit-lock
implements its "niceness", the process can go on for more than an
hour, even on a relatively fast machine, as long as you have enough
large buffers open.

Sincerely,

Luc.