Re: PHP mode in Emacs?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: PHP mode in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:51:26 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, you are right. I thought I was suggesting something like that
> when I wrote about regions or list of regions for a major mode. Maybe
> we could suggest an interface for telling the major modes (or minor
> modes) where to apply themselves? That would be a minimum I guess.

Well, major modes have basically two major areas of interest: key maps
and syntax highlighting.  Key maps are trivial to do on regions -- you
just use key map text properties.  Syntax highlighting is also pretty
easy to deal with using text props.

Now, of course you're going to find major modes that will misbehave,
and act on text way outside where you're editing, but I think those
functions are actually pretty rare (in the wider scheme of things),
and can be fixed.  Looking over the mmm code, it seems to be solving
most of what we want, although it is somewhat invasive as it stands.
As Stefan says, the major modes should be fixed to work in an
mmm-ified atmosphere; not the other way around.

For that to happen, we need mmm (or something like it) in Emacs.

But it's starting to sound like nobody has actually been in touch with
the mmm people.  Perhaps I should drop them an email and ask their
opinion on the matter?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen