Re: Clarification of eval-after-load [was: Problem mit symlinks, locate-

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Clarification of eval-after-load [was: Problem mit symlinks, locate-library and load-history]
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:46:07 -0700 (PDT)

> (i) "FILE must match exactly" doesn't say what FILE must match, or how it
> must match it, and it is unclear what "exactly" means.  Given this
> description, I would not expect the argument "font-lock" to match the
> file name "font-lock.elc", but it does.  :-(

This may be a horribly naive question, but why doesn't this mechanism just
use the `provide'd symbols?  Is there really much need to use
`eval-after-load' with libraries that are considered so basic (i.e.,
automatically loaded) that they don't provide anything?  I would think
that things like `emacs-startup-hook' would be sufficient for that.

It just seems eminently clear to me what
(eval-after-provide 'dired (unload-feature 'dired))
intends to do, and how to define it precisely.

Davis

shipping.