Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 00:56:38 +0200

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Maybe not for a novice?
>>
>> We don't want to lead users into dead ends, even if it is easy to do.
>
> I can understand if there is a problem linking to the HTML-version
> of the documentation (relying on a link to an external resource
> could be a problem), but I don't see why the HTML-version should be
> that bad. Exactly why is the "navigation much worse"

You don't have "up", "next", "previous", "top" keyboard keys, and the
respective buttons scroll around with the rest of the page.  You don't
have a working index command, and if you look manually in the index
(by choosing first the top node, then the index node) you don't have
completion.  If you jumped to an index location, you can't use "," to
jump to the next occurence.  You can't search for phrases except in
the current node.  You can't page scroll through successive nodes by
pressing just "space" repeatedly.  You can't follow links into other
info manuals.

> and what is the "dead end" here?

An utterly crippled hypertext system which the user thinks adequate
because he does not know the alternatives.

> People are used to find their way around HTML-pages these days and
> modern browsers have good search capabilities.

Come off it.  You'd need a web crawler to search more than a single
node.