Re: entering Unicode characters as hex numbers not documented

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: entering Unicode characters as hex numbers not documented
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:25:15 +0200 (CEST)

> > How shall Joe User find this function?
>
> I don't know who decided that and why, but are you saying that we
> should document every single command in the manual?

Please don't generalize what I've written.  This particular function
is so important IMHO that it deserves an entry in the manual, and it
should be inserted at a very prominent place.  For comparison, even
Windows has a similar function which is well documented -- and these
guys have paid millions of dollars to find out what users need...

> If `apropos' doesn't find something, try `apropos-documentation',
> which searches the doc strings, not only the symbols' names.

Good point, thanks!  I wasn't aware of this function which is
extremely helpful.

> > Additionally, there are a lot of Unicode characters which aren't
> > accessible with quial input methods.  How do you enter such
> > characters then if not with `ucs-insert'?
>
> Examples will help.

???  What kind of examples do you mean?

> In general, characters that are very popular should be added to the
> respective input methods.

I'm not sure whether we are talking about the same thing.  For
example, I have been asked more than once how to find the Chinese
character with the highest number of strokes.  This particular
character doesn't have a known reading, and it isn't covered by *any*
input methods which are part of Emacs.  The same holds for at least
10000 other Chinese characters, especially the recent additions from
Unicode 4.0.

    Werner

PS: The character in question is U+2A6A5 (�, CNS plane 5, character
    0x7C51), four times the symbol for `dragon'; it consists of 64
    strokes.  Now tell me how you would input this.