Re: [OT] Whether those with gnu.org addresses in any way represent FSF

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [OT] Whether those with gnu.org addresses in any way represent FSF
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:29:15 +0900

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:
>> Rather maybe think of it like a FOO.edu address.
>
> Actually, that's *exactly* how I think of it.  The behaviour of a
> student with a FOO.edu address reflects on the institution of which
> they are a part, and it's in that sense that people with gnu.org
> addresses represent the FSF.

"Reflects on", sure, but rather weakly.  Nobody's going to lose much
sleep if a Harvard student flames somebody on a mailing list somewhere,
and it won't have much effect on Harvard's reputation, because it's
generally understood that there are lots of silly people at universities,
and that no attempt is made to control their behavior.

-Miles
--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away