Re: [OT] Netiquette

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Netiquette
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:04:11 +0200

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:

> On 14 Jun 2006, at 04:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> Your reaction to David's response strikes me as impolite, because it
>> interpreted a perfectly technical response as having a non-technical
>> agenda, and pounced on him.
>
> It wasn't a "perfectly technical response".  Only the first sentence
> was technical.

The whole reply (excluding quotes from your post) was

    Files set from a file local variables block are made buffer-local,
    anyway.  Perhaps reading the documentation will help.

So it consisted of two sentences.  The first, longer sentence
explained your mistake.  The second, shorter one, pointed out that
this was supposed to be covered in the documentation.  Both sentences
were intended to help you deal with your problem.

>>> Anyway, to be clear, I'm really not interested in debating this
>>
>> Well, you started it to begin with.
>
> No, I didn't.

Yes, you did, and by now it is reflecting badly on the attitude of
people with an alastairs-place.net mail address.

I suggest that you drop your diatribe which nobody will miss and
instead try concentrating on the technical merits and issues of your
patch.