W32 to AIX performance

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: W32 to AIX performance
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:48:05 +0000 (UTC)

I'm currently using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2006-05-02
on XP.

I use an up-to-date cygwin ssh to connect to both Solaris and AIX machines
without problems using RSA keys.  Under the DOS console and cygwin's RXVT it
works as expected.

Starting an `M-x shell' and then invoking ssh within the comint buffer to a
Solaris machine works great.  Tramp using the sshx method to the Solaris box
works as well.

Doing the same with the AIX box however is problematic.  Under comint, the
response is so slow that it is unusable.  For example, more than a minute to
`ls' an empty directory and get the next prompt.  The output does not come
slowly, but rather all appears at the end of a long wait.  Tramp using sshx is
unusable because it times out.  In fact, under Emacs, any interaction with the
AIX box exhibits this behavior.

I would assume that I had done something wrong, except that the same config
interacts with Solaris seamlessly.  Google and the list archives yielded
little.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there settings on either the
AIX or W32 side that I can change to impact this?  I'm willing to debug this
some but need some hints as to what to do and look for.

This is becoming important to me since much of my development for the next six
months will be on AIX rather than Solaris and vi aint cuttin' it!

TIA