Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:36:35 -0700 (PDT)

>> Could the problem that users unsaved data are not saved on w32 in this
>> situation be put in FOR-RELEASE? I think it is a serious bug.
> The user has requested a shutdown of the system, without saving their
> data first. How is it a bug that Emacs respects their wishes?

It's worth considering that the user may have requested the shutdown
without remembering that Emacs was open (or that data remained unsaved in
it), or that something else (e.g., an installer program) may have
initiated the shutdown unexpectedly.  I believe that the question of "save
or discard data" has an obvious answer.  It's just a question of

1) Auto-save, to protect files from bad unsaved edits
2) Save really, assuming that the user didn't break things and then shut
down, and avoiding the issue of recovering the files
3) Ask the user (probably best, but is it in line with the UI guidelines?)

For what it's worth, all sorts of W32 applications interrupt a normal
shutdown just to offer to save files, IIRC.

Davis

shipping.