Re: general-purpose.el - a general-forms-resource-utility

From: Andreas Roehler
Subject: Re: general-purpose.el - a general-forms-resource-utility
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:13:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii schrieb:
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:11:01 +0200
From: Andreas Roehler <address@hidden>

There are general usable functions scattered in the
source files, which are useful in a lot of
circumstances and could be callable in a given context.

Why do we need a new file for these?  We already have subr.el, why not
add things to it?

Thanks.
See several questions around: To copy it into a new file would
produce volume. Altogether as the definitions
are already there. From this point of view it's better
to copy them from the original location into a
temporary buffer just the moment, the user wants to see
it.

Given this, another question results: What, if the
source changed and the indicated form isn't longer in
place? Maintain a fall-back file somewhere in the net?
Error message?

Subr.el isn't suitable in any case as `general-purpose'
is conceived as a user facility. The collection should not
be evaluated per default, it should
not change the sources by themselves.

Certainly as a result there might be cases--and
probably a lot of them--where it's obvious the
definition should go into subr.el - as string-strip
originating from newcomment-string-strip. But that will
be another process.

__
Andreas Roehler