Re: grep command doc - point out that you can chain now

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: grep command doc - point out that you can chain now
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:00:13 -0400

    I'd say that this should perhaps be made more clear in the Emacs-Lisp doc
    for `start-process'. That doc does point out that `start-process' starts an
    asynchronous process, and it says that whatever you give it as &rest args
    are treated like command-line args, but, though I've read that before and
    used `start-process' several times, I never interpreted "command-line
    arguments for the program" (e.g. grep) to mean whatever might be on the
    command line, including pipes (and redirection etc., presumably).

Your previous interpretation was correct: args to start-process are
passed to the program.  In general, pipes and redirection are NOT
allowed.

They work in these specific contexts which use start-process to run
the shell.  The string you type is passed as argument to the shell.