Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:04:22 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
    Any objections to installing this now?

I don't want to add features that work only on proprietary systems.
Our goal is to replace those systems, not to enhance them.
This is a fine feature, but it needs to work on GNU/Linux before
we support it.
It is not a new feature. X desktops tend to use file: urls only for local files, and other protocols are already handled by dnd.el, so remote drag and drop is already available on free systems as far as I can tell. It was also available on Windows up until 21.4, since Windows used its own dnd code that did not try to differentiate local from remote files.