Re: Let `C-h i' open all Info buffers that were quit?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Let `C-h i' open all Info buffers that were quit?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:02:59 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:01:10 -0700
>
> Post-release feature request -
>
> You can use `M-n' (`clone-buffer') in Info, to have more than one Info
> buffer open. I don't know if other people use Info this way very much, using
> different parts of Info in different buffers, but I do.

I'm a heavy user of this feature.

> If you quit Info and reenter, apparently only the first Info buffer is
> reentered (displayed) - the clones are not. The clone Info buffers are still
> available, so you can get to them, e.g., via `C-x C-b', but `C-h i' doesn't
> automatically display them.

You need to give `C-h i' an argument.  For example, `C-u 3 C-h i' goes
to the buffer `*info*<3>'.

> Anyway, my real suggestion here is this: It would be handy if `C-h i' opened
> (displayed) *all* of the Info buffers.

Perhaps what you lack is this piece of information: `C-x C-b' shows
the Info manual's identification next to its *info*<N> buffer name,
instead of the file name for buffers that have an associated file.
So, if what you want is a fast way of getting back to a specific Info
buffer, type `C-x C-b' and select the manual you want from the list.

I implemented this feature because I couldn't remember which buffer
has what manual.

> Even users who know about `q' followed by `C-h i' might not know that all of
> their Info buffers are still available - that is, they might not think to
> use `C-x b' to access them.

Why would a user think that Emacs killed one or more buffers without a
good reason?  `q' is not documented to kill a buffer.

For that matter, I don't understand why do you use `q' in Info.  All
it does is bury the Info buffer, then switch to another buffer.  I'd
simply use `C-x b', or even `C-x 5 b'.

> I imagine that there will usually only be relatively few Info buffers at any
> time

This evidently is not so in my case.  I currently have 14 different
Info buffers in this session, each one displaying a different manual
which I frequently need to look in. (I also dedicate a separate frame
to those buffers.)  I cannot imagine how Emacs could manage to display
all of those 14 buffers in any useful way.