Re: A bug, I think, in key-binding

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A bug, I think, in key-binding
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 00:58:42 -0400

    `read-key-sequence', although the DOC string does not mention it, will
    also substitute any mouse-activated maps for the buffer-local maps, if
    they are present and a click event is used.

What do you mean by "mouse-activated maps"?  Do you mean keymaps that
come from properties that apply to the character that was clicked on?
The way we describe that feature is that the location of the click
overrides point for choosing the character whose properties should be used.

    But if we take a look at `key-binding':

    we will find that the same expression "current keymaps" suddenly fails
    to include mouse-activated maps even for click events.

That is true.  But I think key-binding MUST do what it now does.
That is an essential primitive for accessing keymaps.

Perhaps we should have a function to do lookup on a key sequence
just the same way the command loop does.  That can be written in Lisp;
it just has to see if the first event is a mouse even, and move point
there inside save-excursion.

What do you think of this solution?  Of course, the documentation should
be clarified in various places as well.