RE: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:07:24 -0700

    >     In one case, it is set system wide in site-load.el.
    > No one should do that!  People are not supposed to start off
    > new users with nonstandard Emacs settings.

    > I think I will put something into startup.el to make this
    > cease to take effect.

    I think trying to prevent people from shooting in their foot is
    the wrong way to go, since it'll also prevent them from doing
    other things.

    I'd rather we put some kind of loud warning on the splash page
    if we detect something like viper or cua enabled before .emacs
    gets loaded.

Just a loud warning? Take over their keyboard and mouse, fill their Inbox
with spam mail, and send mea-culpa mail from their account to everyone in
their address list. Teach the &*^$!!#'s a lesson. ;-)

Kidding aside, I agree with Stefan and David here: in this case, at least,
educate, don't try to prevent or punish.