Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:34:57 -0400

    > I think this means that if the image blocks out the background color,
    > then the cursor won't appear.  Is that correct?  I think that is a
problem.

    Maybe -- but it's not a new problem.  It's the same as it was in 21.x, and
    I don't recall any reports of that behaviour being a problem.

How could it possibly not be a problem?  Is it that nobody uses
non-transparent images?  Nobody cares about seeing the cursor in buffers
that use non-transparent images?

    The current complaint is that we unconditionally replace the box
    cursor by a hollow cursor on images -- even small images (comparable
    in size to a character glyph) where the box cursor would do fine (and
    did fine in emacs 21.x).

    My change addresses this problem by making a distinction between
    small and "larger" images.  IMO, this is the right fix for emacs 22.

It is ok with me.