From: Lennart Borgman
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:45:08 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
    >>> Why does not key-description use the names <page down> and
    >>> <page up>?
    I suggest changing them at once. 14 years is a long wait. I think
    changing this makes it much easier for new users.

    Would it be terribly difficult to try to change it in the documentation?

Sorry to disagree, but I don't think this is a good idea. I share the desire
to make things more user-friendly, and I agree that it would be good to
somehow indicate that the keys involved might be labeled Page Up and Page
Down (or PgUp and PgDn or...) on your keyboard, but <prior> and <next> are
standard names, which means that users can find things out about them (e.g.
Google).
Why should we discuss if we do not disagree?;-)

Are you seriously saying that it is more simple to find something about the usage of these keys if you use "next" than "page down"? What is the context of the search then? I think most users do not know at all that "page down" is sometimes called "next".

Are those searches very technical? Would it not suffice then to point out in the manual that those keys are often called "next" etc? But for the beginners I think we should label then "page down"/pgdn or something similar. I remember I had trouble to understand what "next" etc was when I started using Emacs. Were they internal names for something etc?