Re: window-scroll-functions called too often

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: window-scroll-functions called too often
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:17:19 -0400

It seems unreasonable to put a hook on window-scroll-functions which
scrolls the window differently.  The intended use of that hook is to
to whatever is necessary to support the scrolling that the user wants
to do, not override it.  So I am not really surprised that this does
not work.

What problem are you trying to solve?

You wrote:

    (defun foo-scroll (window display-start)
      (message "foo-scroll %S %S" window (current-time))
      (when (and window (window-live-p window))
        (with-selected-window window
          (when (>= (window-point) (mark))
            (save-excursion
              (recenter -1))))))

    (add-hook 'window-scroll-functions 'foo-scroll nil t)

    ;;; 1 - hit C-SPC to set the mark on this line somewhere
    ;;
    ;;; 2 - hit C-l here to force a call to `foo-scroll'
    ;;
    ;;; 3 - C-n, C-p, C-a will all result in `foo-scroll' being called now
    ;;
    ;;; 4 - C-p until you are above line 1 and back down and notice C-a
    ;;;   doesnt trigger `foo-scroll', even when you move below line 1
    ;;;   again

    In rcirc, I am using a scroll-function, like the one above, and it is
    being called on every keypress once recenter has been called once.  Is
    this an emacs bug?  If not, how do I suppress those subsequent calls
    cleanly?