RE: fill-paragraph vs. financial institutions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: fill-paragraph vs. financial institutions
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:40:56 -0700

        Now you've really done it. M-x fill-paragraph on
        487.2875,
        487.3375,
        487.4000,

        gives
        487.2875, 3375, 4000, 4500, 4750, 5250, 5500, 6000, 7250,
        8000, 8500, 487.8750,

    adaptive-fill-regexp has an explicit alternative to match prefixes
    such as `NNN.'  This would only apply in the case where the first two
    lines of a paragraph both start that way.
    Maybe we should delete that case.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I just got bit by this. Yes, please get rid of
this feature. The traditional behavior is fine: fill and indent properly
when only the first line starts that way.

IOW, this:

1. Some text here in a long line that gets filled.

should not turn into this:

1. Some text here in a long
1. line that gets filled.

It should instead turn into this:

1. Some text here in a long
   line that gets filled.

    Is that really a case that people
    use?  In some kinds of outlines, the first line of a paragraph would
    start that way, but you wouldn't put the prefix on every line.
    Can anyone think of a reason why we should keep this case?

Not I.

    I propose therefore the following change.  Does anyone see a
    problem in it?

If that puts things back the way they were in previous versions, then that's
good.