Re: font-locking and open parens in column zero

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: font-locking and open parens in column zero
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:17:27 -0400

    I'm probably too silly but using

       (put 'font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function
            'font-lock-syntax-paren-check t)

That makes no sense, because its effect is independent of
the value of the variable font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function.

    It doesn't work for me provided I use something like

       (put font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function
            'font-lock-syntax-paren-check t)

It ought to work.
Can you debug why it fails?