Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:02:03 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I disagree.  If I call something like
>>
>> (start-process-shell-command "ls" "*scratch*" "ls"
>>  "\"Program" "Files\"")
>>
>> then "\"Program" and "Files\"" are not become separate arguments to
>> the shell.
>
> Read the documentation.  You are changing the semantics of the
> function.

I can't change semantics of a function by using it.  The function
already _has_ those semantics, and the question was whether that is a
good idea.

>> Again: this does not at all have anything to do with wildcards and
>> redirections, so I fail to see why you bring them up time and again.
>
> Read the documentation again.

The only thing the documentation says in that respect is

    Remaining arguments are the arguments for the command.
    Wildcards and redirection are handled as usual in the shell.

Since I am apparently too stupid to understand your meaning by
rereading those two sentences, would you care to explain it in words
fit for a simple-minded person like myself?